Here are the 12 toxic chemicals you should avoid when buying make-up. This is the list being shared by former Ms America Susan Jeske, who now travels the country, teaching people about the dangers of toxins in cosmetics and personal-care products.
Jeske says these 12 toxic chemicals put you at the highest risk of biological mutation, reproductive complications, acute toxicity, tumors, skin and eye irritations.
Toxic 12 Chemicals to Avoid in Makeup
1. Benzoyl peroxide
2. DEA (diethanolamine) and MEA (monoethanolamine) and TEA (triethanolamine)
3. Dioxin 4. DMDM hydantoin and imidazolidinyl urea
5. Synthetic colors and pigments
6. Parabens (methyl, butyl, ethyl, propyl)
7. FEG (polyethylene glycol)
8. Phthalates (xenoestrogens)
9. Propylene glycol and butylene glycol
10. Sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate
11. Sunscreen chemicals like avobensone, benzphenone and PABA
Jeske claims that the FDA is failing to protect our health when it comes to products like shampoo, lotion, conditioner, moisturizer and make-up… and that cosmetics and skin care are the least-regulated consumer products on the market.
I know we can't control everything that touches our bodies, but we can take responsibility to keep ourselves informed!