Next week, Sept 28 – Oct. 4, is Banned Books week!
Post an answer to these questions:
1. What book(s) would you like to see banned, and why?
2. What banned book(s) have you read, and why?
3. Do you agree that adults should be prevented from reading books other adults find objectionable, and why/why not?
To answer my own questions:
1. No book should be banned from the adult shelves. At most, there should be a "restricted" section that only those 18+ could enter.
2. Lots! Huckeberry Finn; the Wizard of Oz; The Diary of Anne Frank; Our Bodies, Ourselves; the list goes on and on. I read the latter because an effort was in the works to have it banned, and I wanted to find out why. The others I had already read before I knew they had been banned.
3. No adult should be forbidden access to books. It's a safe way of exploring the world, including other thoughts and cultures than one's own. The adults in question should be responsible for monitoring, and setting limits on, the books read by their own children.