A statement from the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit can be read here.
Using quotes (in italics below) from the cited link, note that:
1) The denialists are lying about not having access to the CRU data:
â€œIt is well known within the scientific community and particularly those who are sceptical of climate change that over 95% of the raw station data has been accessible through the Global Historical Climatology Network for several years. We are quite clearly not hiding information which seems to be the speculation on some blogs and by some media commentators,â€ commented the Universityâ€™s Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Research Enterprise and Engagement Professor Trevor Davies.
2) The denialists are lying when they say that the emails reveal a conspiracy to adjust data.
There is nothing in the stolen material which indicates that peer-reviewed publications by CRU, and others, on the nature of global warming and related climate change are not of the highest-quality of scientific investigation and interpretation.
3) The denialists are lying when they say that the data don’t support the scientific consensus. Obviously the scientific consensus was reached AFTER the data overwhelmingly led scientists to that conclusion. And all of the data from other sources all support this conclusion, not just the CRU data.
Our global temperature series tallies with those of other, completely independent, groups of scientists working for NASA and the National Climate Data Center in the United States, among others. Even if you were to ignore our findings, theirs show the same results. The facts speak for themselves; there is no need for anyone to manipulate them.
4) The denialists are lying when they claim there are “many” emails that “prove illegal behavior.” There is no such thing. There are only a handful of emails cherry picked from over 1000 stolen in which the denialists are creatively interpreting the wording to fit their preconceived non-scientific views.
A selection of these emails have been taken out of context and misinterpreted as evidence that CRU has manipulated climate data to present an unrealistic picture of global warming. This conclusion is entirely unfounded and the evidence from CRU research is entirely consistent with independent evidence assembled by various research groups around the world.
5) The denialists are lying when they say the evidence is not there, when in fact the evidence of human-induced global warming is overwhelming.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in its 4th Assessment Report (AR4) published in 2007 concluded that the warming of the climate system was unequivocal. This conclusion was based not only on the observational temperature record, although this is the key piece of evidence, but on multiple strands of evidence. These factors include: long-term retreat of glaciers in most alpine regions of the world; reductions in the area of the Northern Hemisphere (NH) snow cover during the spring season; reductions in the length of the freeze season in many NH rivers and lakes; reduction in Arctic sea-ice extent in all seasons, but especially in the summer; increases in global average sea level since the 19th century; increases in the heat content of the ocean and warming of temperatures in the lower part of the atmosphere since the late 1950s.
Meanwhile, this is the reality.
Note that this article is now located in a group called “Exposing Climate Denialism – A Guide to Tactics and Tall Tales,” located at climatelies.gather.com.Â Please join the group and set settings to receive new articles when they are posted.Â The group also includes an archive of past pasts.