I’ve posted this recipe before here on Gather (Romanian Food For Supper (recipes included)), but we fixed it again recently, and I wanted to include it in my “Eating While Broke” series. It’s such a frugal dish and yet tastes so “different” from normal fare. We never have scallions, so I either use minced dried onion, chives, regular onions, or I just omit altogether. I’ve used dried dill before too, and I generally use dried parsley too, although I have used fresh. This stuff is so great! Try it and see!
Pui cu Smantana (Chicken with Sour Cream)
- 3 T butter
- 3 lbs. chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of scallions, cleaned and chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 T fresh dill sprigs, chopped
- 4 T sour cream
- 1 T flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 potatoes, peeled, boiled, and cut into small pieces
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet, melt 2 T butter and brown chicken pieces on medium-high heat. When nicely browned (about 10 minutes each side), sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover, and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, melt the rest of the butter, and lightly saute scallions, garlic, and dill on low heat.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream and flour well, and add lemon juice.
- When chicken is cooked, add sauteed ingredients, potatoes, and sour cream mixture, then stir well. Let simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve with a light salad with lemon or balsamic vinegar dressing.
You can see additional posts in the 2010 “Eating While Broke” series by clicking the following links:
Be sure to check out the group “Eating While Broke” for other frugal recipes and tips, along with freebies and other things to help you save money.