Iâ€™d rather call this dish â€œTwice Baked Potatoesâ€ but Carla Vavala gets a bit fancy and adds the Fontina cheese and a healthy dose of â€œFlorentineâ€. It wonâ€™t matter what you call it, it will be a crowd pleaser.
- 4 large baking potatoes (I used 1 sweet potato and 2 baking potatoes)
- 1 cup fresh spinach, steamed, drained and chopped (I simply chopped fresh baby spinach and added raw to the potatoes)
- 3 TBS butter (use olive oil instead and keep it healthy)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (skimmed or 1% would be your best choice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese (1/2 a cup was good enough for us)
- fresh chives or chopped green onion to finish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Scrub potatoes, pierce with a fork and put in the microwave for 5 minutes.
Place potatoes in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Cool potatoes enough to handle then cut in half and scoop out the centers, leaving the skins in tact.
Put the inside of the potato in a large bowl and add the spinach oil, milk, salt and pepper. Mash then fold in the fontina cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Refill potato skins, place back in baking dish, top with green onion or chives and bake for 20 minutes until golden. *I sprinkled mine with paprika before baking for the final 20 minutes.
Mmmm â€“ DELICISH! I love the mixture of sweet potato with regular white potato. NOTE: I didnâ€™t use the sweet potato skins to stuff the potatoes. I ended up with 4 halves, only using the baked potato skins.
Stay tuned for our trip to Flagstaff, Arizona where we meet Greg McMillan and run tilâ€™ weâ€™re silly.