Mary Poppins: Some of you may think this is a joke, but I’m not kidding. Jon and Kate Gosselin are better parents than you think.
1. Their kids listen. Even with cameras circling and tons of people coming in and out of their house, these eight kids listen to what Jon and Kate say. They follow directions and know the rules. They know that what their parents say goes.
2. They discipline their children. I hate seeing kids cry, it really just rips into my heart, but you know what? Sometimes kids need to cry and learn that what they did was wrong. This is where time-out comes in, and Jon and Kate know how to use it. They do not discipline their children over everything, but they make sure their kids know what is acceptable and what is not.
3. They spend time with their children. OK, they have a TV deal and have more time to be at home than the average parent. BUT, they do not just stay home and watch TV, surf the internet, etc. They spend time with their kids, interacting with them and taking them out to explore their surroundings.
4. They recognize the differences in their children. This is probably one of the things I love most about Jon and Kate; they never compare their children. So many parents use one child against the other and then do not understand why there is animosity between their children. Jon and Kate know how their kids differ and revel in their diversity.
5. They genuinely love each other. The worst kind of family to walk into is one where the kids have no love and respect for one another. In this family, these kids have already learned to lean on each other. Sure, there are going to be fights and arguments between them all, but through it all, each and every one of them genuinely loves the other seven.
I’m sure I have offended some of you who love to hate this family for various reasons, but I just do not see where the hate stems from. I do not believe that if you were in their situation, you would turn down an opportunity that would allow you to provide for your family to the best of your abilities.