Parents are being cautioned of the dangers of laundry gel packs in a new statement issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The commission says biting or even the handling of the packets by children can result in serious health issues. A warning had been issued in September telling parents that the gel packets look like teething products and some toys. As fun as they look, they need to be kept away from kids just like any other poison.
It should come as no surprise that cleaning products are dangerous to children, but these have continued to be a problem, so it’s important to remind parents yet again that the highly concentrated cleaning power of these gel packs can seriously harm people if not handled with the proper care. Hearing of these accidents happening to children is awful.
According to Parents.com, the statement from CPSC sent out Tuesday reads:
“In 2012 alone, CPSC staff has learned of about 500 incidents involving children and adults who were injured by the product. Children have required hospitalization from ingesting the product due to loss of consciousness, excessive vomiting, drowsiness, throat swelling, and difficulty breathing (requiring intubation). Eye contact with detergent from ruptured packets has also resulted in medical treatment for severe irritation and temporary vision loss due to ocular burns.
“Because these packets dissolve quickly and release highly concentrated toxic chemicals when contacted with water, wet hands, or saliva, consumers are strongly urged to always handle laundry packets carefully and with dry hands.”
Because of the danger, remind everyone to keep the laundry gel packs out of reach, and teach children to stay away.
Photo Credit: USCPSC