I found this recipe in the coupon section of the Sunday paper about two weeks ago I think. It was with a coupon for Marzetti brand salad dressing. The recipe sounded interesting, so I clipped it out along with my coupons, and then set it aside to prepare at some point in the future. The actual name of it is “Ultimate Chicken”, but I thought that was a pretty stupid name so I renamed it “Blue Cheese Chicken”. I’m still not particularly fond of that name, but it’s still better than the ultimate chicken I think.
Anyway, this recipe wasn’t exactly cheap enough to be a part of my “Eating While Broke” series, but I found it to be worthwhile sharing so I’m just posting it alone and not as part of my series. If you bought the ingredients separately (like 1 Granny Smith apple) then it would be more cost-effective; however, our local grocery store didn’t have individual apples on display where you could buy your own. You could also get the dressing cheaper at a store like Aldi’s, so the recipe could be had much more cheaply than the prices I paid.
This recipe was very different, I thought. My husband found it to be sort of Meditarranean-like in flavor. The kids weren’t fond of the apples, onions, and celery; however, they did eat up the chicken and spinach. Yeah, yeah, I know, what child likes spinach!! Ha ha. Anyway, I would recommend this recipe to others. Especially if you’re having company as this dish was rather attractive looking and sort of “fancy restaurant-like” if that makes sense. Serve it with some sort of crusty bread and voila, instant and very easy to prepare meal. It would look like you had put forth a lot more effort than you actually did.
Blue Cheese Chicken (aka Ultimate Chicken)
- 3/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 4 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
- 1 c sliced celery
- 1/3 cup sliced shallots or red onions
- 8 oz clean baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 c toasted pine nuts
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika. Heat 2 T oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear both sides of chicken.
- Continue to cook on medium heat until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil and saute apples, celery, and shallots (or red onions) until tender.
- Gently heat blue cheese dressing in a saucepan. DO NOT bring to a boil.
- Arrange spinach on plates, top with hot vegetables, apples, and chicken. Spoon warm blue cheese dressing over all and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes