Sausages and Onions on Crispy Polenta
PointsPlus Value: 7
- ½-tube (9-oz) polenta, cut into 6 slices
- ½ large red bell pepper: cut into strips (can use ½ a green as well)
- ½ large onion: sliced
- ¼-pound fully cooked chicken sausages (sun-dried tomato variety): cut into 1 inch slices
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ cup Classico marinara sauce
- 1/6 cup water
- 1 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley: coarsely chopped
- Spray a large, nonstick skillet (grill pan is best) with cooking spray & set over high heat. Arrange the polenta slices on the pan & lightly spray with nonstick spray. Cook until golden, about 5 mins on each side.
- Meanwhile, spray another large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray & set over med-high heat. Add the bell pepper & onion; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 mins. Stir in the sausages & Italian seasoning; cook until the sausages are lightly browned, about 2 mins. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat & simmer until heated through, about 1 minute longer.
- Transfer the polenta to a platter & top with sausage mixture.
I actually didn’t have any peppers in the house when I made this, so instead I defrosted some frozen peas and through those in. This looks like a small portion but was actually rather filling. The polenta basically takes on the flavor of whatever else it’s with, so it was more of a texture-thing. Which I liked.
My husband didn’t know what to make of it – but overall I think he enjoyed it.
This was another super easy recipe. Cut a few things, saute and voila!! (And yes, picture IS mine…)