To celebrate 150 years of statehood, Minnesota Public Radio wants to tell the story of the people who make up our state. It’s a daunting task, and we’d like your help. Using the tools here at Gather.com, tell us how you (or your ancestors) came to Minnesota — and why you stayed.
(From the project description. See MPR’s Minnesota 150 collection page)
Share your history with us here on Gather! We may point to your self-produced story in our MN150 collection, which is a great way to see the state’s history intersect with our personal one. Know I’m especially interested in your video storytelling, whether you simply record a face-to-face interview with your family historian or if you try your hand at a fully-fledged mini-documentary.
Please answer these questions in your story:
- When did you or your ancestors arrive in Minnesota?
- Why did you or your family come to Minnesota? Examples: Did land or employment bring you to the state? Was education or proximity to friends a factor?
- Where (geographically) did you come from and how did you or your ancestors arrive? By plane, car, train, horse, boat, bus? Maybe even on foot?
- If you didn’t stay in Minnesota, where did you go?
Minnesota Public Radio
American Public Media
- Get tips on how to record and capture your family history