This recipe is adapted from Woman’s Day magazine. It makes a fantastic soup!
Posted for the Gather slow cooker recipe series.
- oil, divided
- 12 oz beef stew meat
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 12 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced
- 2 t minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup barley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a little oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 4 to 5 minutes or til browned. With slotted spoon, transfer beef to plate.
- Add onion and carrots and saute another few minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; sauté a few minutes more.
- Return beef to pot. Add broth, water, barley, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Add ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high 3 hours, or til beef is tender.