Iambic Pentameter with variation
Rhyme Scheme: abaccdedeff
(the cc couplet is purposefully an eye rhyme)
Rest Easy, World
Shall ever wind sit still to rest in peace,
And the world breathe its final breath,
Departure, the ocean waves to shore and leaves,
The fated fauna fall from limb to earth
To settle there, the last of death to bear;
All composition decomposed, all creation destroyed,
But those nourished and sustained by decay,
Affixed to and fatted of amassing spoils,
They surely live, as life to live must prey.
Nothing comes of nothing, all things of all things,
Living of dying, and all beings of all beings.
Write a passage of description or a poem. Make a deliberate choice to use at least one image which, in addition to the visual (or sensual) picture it evokes, carries a symbolic connotation which gives emotional weight to the core truth you are seeking to communicate in your piece.
- Put SunWE in the title and tags.
- Share your post with Gather Writing Essential group.
- Indicate in some way which devices or techniques I should be paying attention to. (If responding to today’s, put Descrimbolism in the title field.)
- This prompt does not turn into a pumpkin a week (or even two) from today. If your piece isn’t done in the next week or two, get it in when you can. This is supposed to be fun.
- I will comment on every submission and include a link to it in the next column.
- If you would like a little more academic critique—but still very friendly and positive—include the word “rigorous” in your post (e.g. “rigorous critique wanted”).